The Ridges Sanctuary mission is to protect the Sanctuary and inspire stewardship of natural areas through programs of education, outreach, and research. The Ridges was established in 1937 after Albert Fuller, then Curator of Botany at the Milwaukee Public Museum, began spending a significant amount of time surveying the landscape. Fuller spearheaded a grassroots movement to protect this incredibly diverse property and establish Wisconsin’s oldest member-based land trust. This grassroots movement is still drives the organization today. The Ridges now protects over 1600 acres which have a distinct ridge/swale topography that encompasses much of the sanctuary and are comprised of fifteen discrete plant communities, 475 inventoried vascular plants, a Boreal Forest glacial relict and twenty-six of Wisconsin’s forty-nine native orchids.
The Ridges Sanctuary, Inc currently has an opportunity for a highly motivated individual to lead our development program. This full-time, exempt position is the chance to lead our fund development plan working with our board, staff and committee members to support our program initiatives. The Development Director is hired by the Executive Director with approval of the Board and reports to the Executive Director.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Actively work with the Executive Director, Development Committee and staff to develop and implement comprehensive strategies to support the organization’s financial goals.
- Design, implement and manage all fundraising activities including annual appeal, endowment and capital campaigns and special projects.
- Manage all strategies and activities for donor cultivation, solicitation, and relations.
- Maintain contact with and develop grant proposals to foundations, corporations, organizations, government and individuals. Develops relationships with key foundation personnel.
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive planned-giving program.
- Ensure that all donations are acknowledged promptly and records are maintained accurately.
- Ensure that donor intentions are followed.
- Acknowledge donors where appropriate in annual report, newsletter listings, sponsorship recognition, promotional displays, etc
- Coordinate promotion, marketing and underwriting support for special events.
Marketing & Communications
- Develop and implement a comprehensive strategy and brand to market The Ridges, its programs and activities.
- Coordinate with other organizations and entities (i.e., Baileys Harbor Community Association) to ensure consistency of content related to The Ridges.
- Develop marketing for print, radio and social media. Responsible for newsletters, flyers, press releases, articles, annual reports, op-ed pieces, ads, etc.
- Maintain and enhance communication with members.
- Prepare annual action plan and supporting budget
- Assist with hiring and training of new staff members as needed.
- Prepare program and staff reports as needed.
- Other duties as identified.
- Proven and accomplished track record working for an environmental organization in creating a fund development plan: manage annual giving program; cultivate donor relations; working as a team with staff and volunteers to accomplish annual financial goals.
- Knowledge and experience of writing and managing grants supporting conservation efforts
- Experience in financial management planning
- Proven experience in developing marketing strategies and working with local media
- Technical knowledge of databases and other software to support marketing and fundraising strategies
- Demonstrated passion for supporting an organization’s mission
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Have the creativity and flexibility to work with board, staff and committee members to solve problems
HOW TO APPLY
This position is open until filled. Please send cover letter, resume and three references to Steve Leonard, Executive Director at email@example.com Subject line should read “Development Director Position”.